A beautiful island, Mediterranean climate and sandy beaches apart, Cyprus is fast emerging as an affordable international study destination that offers reasonable entry requirement and multi-cultural learning environment for international students.
Why study in
Like Singapore and Hong Kong, Cyprus is an important financial and business centre, with over 70% of the economy focused on services. The main industries in Cyprus are financial and professional services, banking, investment management, shipping, tourism and real estate. Cyprus hosts the financial infrastructure for thousands of multinational companies due to its stable and modern legal and tax environment, highly educated workforce, and excellent quality of life.
While traditionally universities in Cyprus have been world-renowned for programs in the hospitality business and tourism, Cyprus is now fast emerging as the preferred international study destination with cutting-edge programs in advanced medical studies and emerging technologies like Digital Currency/Blockchain Technology.
Cyprus spends 7% of its GDP on education, the third-highest share in the European Union after Denmark and Sweden, and a reason for the high-quality European education system. Affordable cost of living, a thriving global economy, multi-cultural diversity and world-class education together with excellent post-study employment opportunities in Europe or across the world, make Cyprus a great choice to study abroad.
8 Reasons to study in Cyprus
Cyprus is a stable, economically advanced member of the European Union which offers westernised cities and ultra-modern beach resorts alongside traditional mountain villages and monasteries. It is a centre for education and research in the region.
- A member of the European Union (EU)
- Highest tertiary education levels in the EU
- 5th Safest country in the world (2015 Value Penguin Report)
- 2nd best climate in the world – 300 days of sunshine per year
- Cosmopolitan European lifestyle
- Affordable cost of living
- 12,000 years of history
- 80% of the population speaks English
COST OF LIVING IN CYPRUS
- Accommodation: €6 – €8,000 per year (approx. 4 laces to 7 lacs INR)
- Food and Personal expenses: €5 – €8000 per year (approx. 4 lacs – 6.5 lac INR)
- Books and stationery: €400 – €800 per year (approx. 32000 – 65000 INR)
- Miscellaneous: €1,000 per year (approx. 80000 INR)
WORK RIGHTS FOR FOREIGN STUDENTS
- Foreign students can work up to 15 hours per week.
- An EU directive due to come into force in May 2018, will allow all foreign students who graduate from a university in the EU zone to remain in the EU for nine months following graduation to seek employment or start a business.
Want to know more about studying in Cyprus? Discover world-class universities in Cyprus.
Excited to know more about how to study abroad in Cyprus and why Cyprus is the best place to build your future in Tourism, Medical or emerging technologies?
Schedule a FREE Counseling with study abroad consultants for Cyprus at Planet Office.
Get answers to all your study abroad in Cyprus queries today.
Schedule a FREE Counseling with study abroad consultants for Cyprus at Planet Office
Get answers to all your study abroad in Cyprus queries today
The University of Nicosia
The University of Nicosia (UNIC) – The place where you can build your future
UNIC is the largest university in Cyprus, with more than 11,000 students from over 70 countries across the globe, coming together in an innovative and transformative learning space.
Located in Nicosia, the country’s capital, and with a presence in 18 other cities worldwide, UNIC is driven by our pursuit of excellence in teaching and learning, innovation, research, technology, and a continually evolving academic environment. The University of Nicosia’s new programmes focuses on cutting-edge research, making them global leaders in certain fields, such as in our very successful initiative in Digital Currency/Blockchain Technology. Their focus on implementing the “Knowledge Triangle” through active engagement of UNIC with research centers, industry, and society, ensures that all of its programs are designed, developed and enhanced in close collaboration with industry stakeholders and relevant professional associations.
Internationalization is a central component of UNIC’s strategy. This includes partnerships for degree programmes, student mobility, and opportunities for students post-graduation in academia or industry, in order to share knowledge and capabilities across countries.
A global university in every sense, the University of Nicosia has its own teams in 19 cities worldwide and has over 400 other University partners for student study abroad and exchange or research partnerships.
Discover more about the University of Nicosia below
7 REASONS TO CHOOSE THE UNIVERSITY OF NICOSIA
- Students who qualify for the 4 Year Graduate Entry MBBS will receive a UK primary medical qualification from St George’s, University of London
- Graduates of the 6 Year Undergraduate Doctor of Medicine degree will receive an internationally recognised medical qualification
- BSc Nursing graduates will be qualified for registration as Nurses throughout the EU
- Degree programs are delivered in English
- Financial Needs scholarships are available to all Medical Degree candidates
- Work Rights: international students may work up to 15 hours per week
- EU regulations scheduled to come into force in May will allow foreign students to remain in the EU zone to seek work for nine months following graduation
THE UNIVERSITY OF NICOSIA HIGHLIGHT
- Largest university in Southern Europe that teaches primarily in English
- Largest university in Cyprus
- 11,000+ students from 70 countries; 100+ degree programs
- Modern campus and up to date facilities
- 1st and largest Medical School in Cyprus
- The Medical school has a unique partnership with St George’s, University of London, one of the top 250 universities in the world.
- #1 in the world for Blockchain and Digital Currency education.
- The University’s Doctoral, Master and Bachelor Degrees are fully recognized and structured within the framework of the Bologna Accord. The University of Nicosia is a member of the European Universities Association. The European Foundation for Quality Management, Erasmus, and is one of a few universities in the European Union that has received both the Diploma Supplement Label and the ECTS Label.
MEDICINE AND NURSING DEGREES
About University of Nicosia Medical School
The University of Nicosia Medical School, the largest in the country is home to more than 500 students from 58 countries around the world.
The MBBS programme at UNIC Medical School is offered under the degree awarding powers of St. George’s University of London, and shares the same recognition in the United Kingdom and, with a few exceptions, the rest of the world. The medical school also offers a 6-Year MD degree programme designed for high school leavers, an MSc in Family Medicine for practicing primary care physicians and a PhD in Medical Science. are enrolled in our Medical School, coming from as far away as the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
In addition to their achievements in medical education and research, you also benefit from world-class faculty members, experienced and supportive staff, international partnerships, and state-of-the-art facilities and learning resources. The student-centered curriculum allows for the early development of clinical skills and reasoning, and promotes collaborative learning, critical thinking and reflection, skills that are essential for your future career in medicine.
4 YEAR ST. GEORGE’S, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON GRADUATE ENTRY MBBS
- Graduate with a UK Primary Medical Degree
- Degree program delivered in English
- Opportunity to complete Years 3 and 4 Clinical Years in Baltimore, USA.
- A Bachelor degree in any discipline with at least the equivalent of a UK 2nd Class Honours or a higher degree (e.g. MSc, MPhil or PhD) in any discipline)
- The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)* with a minimum overall score of 498 or the 45th percentile
- The Graduate Australian Medical School Admission Test (GAMSAT) with an overall score of 55 with a minimum of 50 in each of the three sections.
- IELTS score of 7.0 overall (with 7.0 in the written element and no less than 6.5 in any other element) or equivalent is required.
- A personal interview either in person of via the internet
Annual tuition fees in Euros: €27,500 / INR 2, 200,000 (approx.)
*The Medical School will provide a tuition fee discount of Euro 350 for students who need to travel to Singapore for the MCAT or GAMSAT test.
6 YEAR UNDERGRADUATE DOCTOR OF MEDICINE DEGREE
Graduates of this program will earn a Doctor of Medicine or MD degree awarded by the University of Nicosia, allowing them to enter residency programs in their home countries. This medical program follows the accreditation standards of the Association for Medical Education in Europe (http://www.amee.org).
- Degree program is delivered in English
- A minimum of 80% in 10 +2 or equivalent, with similar grades in Biology and either Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics
- A minimum of 32 in the International Baccalaureate, and a combined score of 16 at Higher Level, to include Biology and at least one of either Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematics
- English Language proficiency: 6.5 overall in the IELTS (with 6.5 in writing and a minimum of 6.0 in all other elements)
- A personal interview either in person of via the internet
Students gain clinical experience early on in the curriculum, starting with clinical placements in Year 2. Clinical placements in Years 5 and 6 are at teaching hospitals in Cyprus or in the UK. In addition, students have the option to carry out a 6-week elective at teaching hospitals in the United States.
Annual tuition fees in Euros: €18,000 / INR 1,434,000 (approx.) for first three years; €22,000 / 1,750,000 (approx.) for last three years
BSC NURSING – 4 YEARS
- Graduate with a Nursing degree recognised in all EU countries.
- Applicants who have completed a BSc in Nursing may gain up to 2 Years credit.
- Degree program is offered in English.
- Applicants must have completed 12 years of education (an EU requirement) and are required to have achieved a 70 -75% average in the 10+2 or equivalent. (Science stream.)
- IELTS 5.5 minimum. (NB: However, in order to gain registration following graduation, students must attain IELTS 7.0)
- Some knowledge of Greek language required for clinical placements – but free classes for foreign students are incorporated into the first year of the degree.
Annual tuition fees in Euros: € 9,420 / INR 750,500 / NPR 1,194,410 (approx.)
Financial Needs Scholarships are available for both medical degree programs
For Graduate Entry MBBS applicants the scholarship covers up to 30% of annual tuition fees.
For Undergraduate MD applicants, the scholarships cover up to 20% of annual tuition fees.
Academic scholarships are available to high achieving Graduate Entry MBBS applicants
Academic scholarships cover 30% of tuition fees.
Want to Study in Cyprus in 2018?
Get a free counseling session at your nearest Planet Office.
Discover more on how to apply for the University of Nicosia.